About a month ago, I did a teaching with the middle school students with these two thoughts:
- What are you building your life on? (Matthew 7:24-27)
- What are you building your life with? (1 Corinthians 3:10-15)
When my lead pastor asked if I could preach for a couple of weeks in a row, I thought of this teaching with the students at Youth because it was so impacting to me personally and I had been contemplating its implications ever since. So I thought that the church could benefit from my wrestling!
What Are You Building Your Life On?
There are three main areas of focus in this message:
- The account of the wise man and the foolish man in Matthew 7:24-27, specifically hearing the words of Jesus and either putting them into practice (wise human) or not putting them into practice (foolish human).
- Jesus’ actual words that he was referring to in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7. Instead of sharing ALL of the words (which can be a bit overwhelming), I focused on two specifically: Matthew 5:11 and 5:21-22.
- Jesus’ central thesis statement and thrust of the kingdom of heaven: Repent (Matthew 4:17). The sermon, Jesus’ words, are put into practice through repentance.
What Are You Building Your Life On? (part 1): Download
Video of a lighthouse withstanding the onslaught of crashing waves (wise man): Download
Video of a house floating down a river during a flood as well as a house breaking in half (foolish man): Download