Remembering names can be tough, but it is SO IMPORTANT when you’re both working with and ministering to people especially children. When you remember a child’s name it communicates that they are known. You can’t fake “knowing” someone. Either you do, or you don’t. When you remember someone’s name it tells them that they are known, valued, and important.
Here are some tips from the video:
- Meet and repeat, even spell, the name.
- Connecting or associating that name.
- Get a picture and write the name of the person on the back of it.
- Use name tags in a ministry environment.
What do you do when you forget names?
- Apologize. I usually say something like this: “I’m so sorry I forgot your name. Could you remind me what it is?”
- Grace. We are human. You are going to forget people’s names. Give yourself grace, humble yourself, apologize, then move on with life.