Basic Dodgeball Rules
- Divide the room into two halves with a center dividing line
- Place the dodgeballs on the center line and start the players on the back line of each side
- A player is OUT when hit by a ball from an opposing player that does NOT hit the ground, ceiling, wall, or anyone else
- A player is OUT if an opposing player catches their thrown ball that does NOT hit the ground, ceiling or wall
- A player is OUT if any part of their body crosses the center dividing line
- A player is NOT out if hit anywhere above the shoulders by an opposing player
- For the Bombardment “dodgeball” variation, set up an equal number “light” cones at the rear of each sides playing area. These cones are going to be the
- objective of the opposing team. A team wins when they knock over ALL of their opponents cones, while a normal game of dodgeball is going on.
- Once a player is OUT, then that player goes over to the side of their playing area and must stay out of the play ing area and cannot throw or hold on to any balls during their time out of the game
- A player (or team) may come back into the game one of three ways:
- If a member of your team catches a ball from an opposing player that has not touched the ground, wall or ceiling, then one player can go back into the game, starting in order of who got OUT first and so on
- If a member of your team knocks over a cone on the opposing team’s side, then your WHOLE team may come out of time out
- If the referee yells: “JAILBEAK!” then both team’s time out players may re-enter
- Players may NOT sit, kneel or lay in front of their cones. Players also may NOT stand on their cone.
- If a player accidentally knocks over their own cone, it counts as if the opposing team knocked it over and you are down one more cone
- The team who successfully knocks over their opponents cones wins!
- You may want to add that players cannot HOLD on to dodgeballs longer than 30 seconds (or your own determined amount of time) or more than one ball at a time. This keeps all the balls in play rather than in the hands of a few players.
Download: Bombardment Dodgeball [205kb, PDF]