Notes from General Session #3
@ CPC 2012 Orlando
Invitation to: ACT like family is IMPORTANT
No one has more potential to influence a child’s relationship with God than a parent.
Many churches don’t need a tweak, but rather a systems overhaul
- Families don’t need a BETTER PICTURE, they need a BIGGER STORY
– there is not an ideal “family” or a perfect “picture”
– biblically there is NO SUCH THING as a perfect, or “biblical” family (try it, go through the stories…)
When you invite families into the BIGGER STORY, which is about redemption and restoration, you:
– see EVERY family’s potential
– give EVERY family hope.
Parents need to partner with a church and churches need to partner with parents God is at work telling a story of restoration and redemption (Parenting Beyond Your Capacity).
- Parents don’t need more to do, they need to do something more STRATEGIC
– churches need to define what a practical, spiritually engaged family is
– you will always have parents who don’t get it
– celebrate small changes (baby steps, simple stories)
– make it easy for parents to win
- Churches should do less for KIDS and more for FAMILIES
Start acting like:
– what happens @ home is more important that what happens @ church
– what happens in Youth Ministry is just as important as what happens in Children’s Ministry
– what happens in YOUR house is more important that what happens in YOUR ministry
Anyone can do your job/ministry… you are replacable… however, no one can be your kids mother or father.
Don’t stop fighting for the heart of your kids, relationships, and family!!