This is another great blog post from epicparent.tv about speaking life into your kids:
I believe that parents hold the greatest, most powerful and life altering tool in our possession…
Not sure if you read the Bible much, but here is what is says about the tongue…
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue…” Proverbs 18:21
10 COMMANDMENTS OF SPEAKING LIFE TO YOUR KIDS:
- SAY YES: I say “NO” to my kids because it is the easy, simple and if I am totally honest, “NO” just requires less of me. Speak life to your kids by saying “YES” this week. Try it; say “YES” to every reasonable & most unreasonable requests.
- ASK HOW YOU CAN SERVE THEM: Try this with your most challenging kiddo, it will transform the relationship.
- PRAY: Every day this week pray over your kid’s right before they leave for school.
- LISTEN: God could be trying to get your attention or send a message to you through your kids. Stop what you are doing, sit down and really listen.
- ADMIT YOUR MISTAKE: I blew it big time this weekend by taking my kids to a movie that they just should not have seen. As soon as we walked in the house I gathered Team Sprad together and admitted my mistake. Parents, you will blow it…its okay be real w/ your kiddos and let them know.
- DISCIPLINE THEM IN LOVE: I get a ton of things wrong in parenting, but this is one I get right. I take a considerable amount of time in the discipline process to love and protect their hearts.
- WRITE THEM A LETTER: The picture above is a copy of the letter I wrote my daughter for Christmas.
- BE SOFT: Lower your tone and use life giving words.
- IRRATIONAL GRACE: Cole came home last month trying to explain why he made a bad grade in Science. I simply wrapped my arms around him, looked him in the eye and said “if you brought home a 100 I wouldn’t love you anymore.” When you kids expect discipline, try love and grace.
- I BELIEVE IN YOU: Your kids have to hear this from you weekly. I believe in you because you’re a person of your word. I believe in you because…